The town of Schuyler Falls was ‘erected’ from the town of Plattsburgh by action of the New York State Senate and Assembly on April 4, 1848. Plattsburgh had been settled and formed as a town in 1785, with the area closest to where the Saranac River meets Lake Champlain being incorporated as a village in 1815 (and as a city in 1902). As town populations grew, ‘daughter’ towns were set off from the original town. From Plattsburgh town were formed Peru (1792), Beekmantown (1820), Saranac (1824) and Schuyler Falls (1848).
Schuyler Falls is about 38 square miles in size and near the center of Clinton County. It is bordered on the north and east by the Saranac River and the town of Plattsburgh, on the west by Sarana tow, and on the south by Peru town (with the Salmon River in Schuyler Falls about a mile inside that southern border). Both rivers flow east to Lake Champlain. The landscape to the east is fairly flat, with rolling hills to the west and increasing elevation. Argriculture, timber and water power provided the key resources to industries of early Schuyler Falls.